Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Potato Dumplings

Serves:  4 (3 balls per serving)

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

These were pretty bland by themselves but when topped with the gravy from the sauerbraten, they were pretty darn good! In the future I may play with some additions (cheese, chives, bacon crumbles?). I think served with anything with a gravy or sauce they are a pretty good side dish. Next time I make beef stew, I think these will stand in as my potato!

What it takes:

1 c leftover mashed potatoes
(I made my mashed potatoes that morning and only used milk and butter.  Normally I include sour cream and shredded cheddar. Next time I'll probably make them my normal way. I then stuck the potatoes in the fridge until I was ready to use them that night.)
1 c flour
parsley, for presentation

How to do it:

Boil water in a large stock pot. Add salt to water.

Using a fork, combine the flour and mashed potatoes. Do not knead the mixture. When mashed potatoes and flour are combined, roll the mixture into balls (the size of a golf ball).

When all the balls are made, drop them into boiling, salted water. When they rise, cook an additional 10 minutes. Drain and sprinkle parsley over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment