Monday, October 18, 2010

Perfect Potato and Corn Chowder with Shrimp

Serves:  10

Prep time:  10 minutes

Cooking time: 20 minutes

I adapted this recipe from rachelwadsworth and I am so glad I did! It is the most AMAZING potato soup I have EVER eat. I added some sauteed shrimp to the top but did not incorporate it into the full recipe. I'm not a huge fan of things that taste too "fishy". So, you can either use the shrimp or leave them out.


What it takes:

12 small Yukon gold potatoes, quartered (I left the skin on)
3 10.75oz cans cream of potato soup
3 cans of milk (using the soup cans)
4 oz of shredded mozzarella (part skim if your watching the waistline)
8 oz shredded 2% cheddar (save some for topping)
1 14.75 oz can of cream style corn
1-2 teaspoons pepper
1 can of sweet whole kernel corn, drained (I didn't have any but I think it would have made the dish a little better)

How to do it:

Place quartered potatoes in a pot with water and boil until soft. Drain and mash. Leave it a little lumpy so there are nice chunks in the soup.

Transfer mashed potatoes to a large stock pot and add the soup and milk. Stir over medium heat until well combined. Add the cheeses and both types of corn and pepper to taste. Heat soup until bubbly and hot.

Serve as is or cook up some shrimp to top it off....

Shrimp:

Serves 2
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 3-5 minutes

1 cup shelled and deveined, precooked shrimp (large chunks)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons butter
Pepper and Old Bay to taste

Melt butter in a small saute pan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and shrimp. Season to taste and warm through.

Half the shrimp between two bowls.

I served mine with pepperoni cheddar bread from Walmart but next time I think I would go with my original plan and buy 2 bread bowls from Panara.

Also, this soup makes a very large batch. I froze mine and from what I read on the Internet, it should last 2-3 months in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment